There’s quite a selection of sound damping products out there, this article will explain the differences and the choices

Essentially we can break them down into 2 categories based on the function: Sound absorber and sound insulator.

Sound absorber functions by absorbing incoming sound waves and converting that energy into minuscule amounts of heat, usually an open-cell foam is used for these

Sound insulator functions by blocking oncoming sound waves, effectively reflecting a portion backwards, these typically are closed-cell foams

Area in which the installation is to be done dictates which type of product should be used in there – areas which have a lot of outside incoming noise should be covered with insulators. On the other hand areas which have a lot of internal sounds should be covered with absorber to reduce the echo and reverb which adversely affects sound system quality.

baffle = insulator
Vibrobarrier = insulator

lace = absorber